Calling all young, smart ambitious African women in the diaspora! The SheHive, brought to you by She Leads Africa, is coming to New York from the 2nd-5th June. SheHive is a 4 day boot camp which brings together young female professionals and entrepreneurs to learn new business skills, network with their peers and connect directly with potential mentors and investors. SheHive NYCalso aims to reconnect participants with the continent, providing a space for them to meet and network with fellow young ambitious African women living in the US.
Whether you’re interested in building a business or launching a career in Africa, there will be something for you at SheHive NYC. She Leads Africa believes that young women have an important role to play in Africa and the diaspora and they hope you will join them to be apart of this transformational experience.
Confirmed speakers for SheHive NYC include:
- Vanessa De Luca, Editor-In-Chief, Essence Magazine
- Lola Ogunnaike, former CNN presenter
- Thelma Golden, Director Studio Museum Harlem
- Ngozi Opara – Founder, Heat Free Hair
- Asmau Ahmed, Founder, PlumPerfect – one of only 11 black female founders to raise above $1mn in outside funding
- Adiat Disu, Director, African Fashion Week New York
- Lola Coker, Founder, Resource Nigeria – a recruitment firm that specializes in placing Nigerian diaspora returnees with competitive companies in Nigeria.
- Sharon Beason, Founder, @Womeneur
Speaking about the #SheHiveNYC, She Leads Africa co-founder Afua Osei said: “In the US and UK, men dominate the business and corporate landscape but with so many new industries being created in Africa and for communities in the diaspora, we have the opportunity to change things now. Young women should be encouraged to take leadership roles in startups and corporate organizations and supported along their journey towards professional success. It doesn’t matter if you’re first generation, a recent expat or African American, we all have a shared history and opportunity to make things better.”
Some of the topics being covered at SheHive NYC include:
- Building a multicultural brand
- Marketing, especially social media marketing
- Capitalising on the black beauty industry
- Pitching to investors
- Rising up the corporate ladder
- Building a cosmopolitan and international career
- Business development
- Goal setting
- Moving back
- Getting into a top MBA school
#SheHiveNYC is part of the SheHive Tour which will take the bootcamp to 7 cities in 2016. Previous editions have been held in Lagos (September 2015 –video here) and Accra (January 2016 – photos here), Abuja (May 2016 – photos here photos here). Former participants have described it as a life changing experience. One participant described how implementing a marketing tactic she learnt at SheHiveAccra helped her close a sales lead the very next day.
Tickets for #SheHiveNYC are quickly selling out and so interested participants are encouraged to secure their spots as soon as possible. Passes are still available here. All BN readers get a 5% discount on tickets using the code [email protected]
Companies looking to partner with She Leads Africa can reach out by contacting [email protected]
#SheHiveNYC is supported by BellaNaija, Facebook, AfroElle Magazine, Womeneur, WomenWerk, OkayAfrica, Face2Face Africa, Applause Africa, Royalty Lifestyle, Innov8tiv and District Co-work.
She Leads Africa is a social enterprise dedicated to supporting young African women and their journey towards professional success. The organisation has been featured on CNN, CNBC Africa, Black Enterprise and Fox Business and has more than 30,000 members across Africa.